Saturday, April 24, 2010

I would look up to Karan Grover in DMG; never in my dreams I thought our show will topple it : Mohit Sehgal



Riding high on the success of their popularity in Miley Jab Hum Tum, Mohit Sehgal and Sanaya Irani have taken on the roles of anchors in the celebrity dance reality show Zara Nachke Dikha. The show, scheduled to start from May 1, is already in the news for its glamour quotient. TellyChakkar caught hold of busybody Sehgal for a quick chat.

You have completed one and a half years in Miley Jab Hum Tum. Feels good?
It feels great. I still remember the first day of my shooting. I was new, raw and very nervous. I was very jittery about my performance and whether I would be able to deliver or not. But I did, thanks to everyone in the team. After coming this far, I have realised that team effort can bring a show to the top. I am thankful to all my directors, my co-stars and viewers who have made this success possible. Our show is number one now and it's a big high in my career and I am very happy. No two ways about it.

Few years back, when I used to watch Karan Grover who I thought played his character well and made it so popular in Dil Mil Gaye, I never thought that a day would come when my show would topple DMG which was in the top spot. I never thought in my dreams that our show would beat it and become the most popular show.

Samrat Shergil is one of the most popular characters on Indian television today. According to you, what makes him tick?
Samrat is happy-go-lucky. He spreads happiness and joy. He is charming and popular amongst girls. He uses that charm to make everyone happy. What more do you need? People love to watch these kinds of characters who make them happy too.

Do you feel you have improved as an actor?
I cannot judge myself. It’s for the viewers to tell me. On my part, I am giving my best and working hard. I can promise that I will keep trying new things and present myself in different ways. Viewers need to tell me whether they like it or not.

What are the ups and downs of being an actor?
Everyone comes to the film and television industry for glamour. I won't lie, even I was attracted by the glamour. I am being honest when I am saying that the name and fame associated with this industry attracted me a lot and I enjoy that. I like when people notice me on the streets, when they come for an autograph and when they praise me. My grandfather had some friends from the film industry and I used to listen to all these stories about glitz, glamour and gossip of the industry from him. I think the rumours and some other not-so-good things that happen in the industry are what I don’t like.

You are starting out as a host. Are you nervous?
For the last three days I am shooting without any break. I have not eaten properly, I have not brushed my teeth and have not slept. Today my body gave up and I had to request my director of MJHT to give me a day off. I want to sleep for some time now so I can restart my shooting. So there is no time to feel nervous now.

Hosting is completely new, so when I started, I was tense. The first day was difficult and I was quite numb in front of judges like Shilpa Shetty, Arshad Warsi and Vaibhavi Merchant. But they all are very cool and really boosted my spirits. Now I am comfortable with hosting.

You and Sanaya are junior to all the contestants. So how are you going to interact with them?
This is a dance-based show and all of us can just enjoy the contest and chill. As you know, the format is a battle of sexes so there will be more fun and joy in the show. We all should enjoy and take things lightly. I am going to be Mohit Sehgal in the show and I am hopeful that my fans will like me in this new role too.

No comments:

Post a Comment